Friday, June 2, 2017

Once Upon a Bookshelf – So You Want to Be a Jedi? (Review)

By: Carolyn Deas (@caroylndeas)

Do you want to be a Jedi?

I totally do, so I didn’t know what to expect when I picked up this book. Obviously it tells the Star Wars story “The Empire Strikes Back” but just like the first book in this series, it’s all about perspective.

The author, Adam Gidwitz, prepares you in the preface by getting you in the mindset of a Jedi. He’s not just telling you a story. He’s walking you through your story! In this book, you are Luke Skywalker, young Padawan, training with Yoda and fighting the Empire.

What I loved most about this book is the way in which it’s told. Not only are you the hero, but between every chapter, there’s also an activity for you to do to work on your Jedi training. It starts off with easy tasks like trying to meditate (I mean really meditate) for as long as you can while counting to ten. Focus on the numbers and nothing but the numbers.

I tried it. It’s super hard.

As the story progresses, so do your challenges. For example:

• Focus on balancing on one leg while someone throws something at you.

• Scatter things all over your room and then walk through with your eyes closed feeling the objects at your feet and not actually touching them.

• Also, like the first book in the series, it also spells out names that you (or me, at least) can never remember or pronounce.

The story is a classic and if you have young readers in your house that want/need Jedi training, getting them this book is the first step. There are all kinds of history lessons and stories that aren’t in the original telling (but they fit so flawlessly you wouldn’t know it).

I started the last book of this series yesterday and I can’t wait to share my thoughts on that one with you, too!


admin
via The Nerd Machine

http://www.nerdhq.com/once-upon-a-bookshelf-so-you-want-to-be-a-jedi-review/


Entertainment Earth

No comments:

Post a Comment